With the summer heat now upon us, I looked for a healthier and lighter option for my recipe this week. Fish tacos are always a popular appetizer and I thought what better than a yummy walleye version. This one uses baked walleye, instead of the typical fried fish Who knows, we may start featuring this at some of the lodges.
- 1¼ cups whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- ¾ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 x 8oz walleye filets, sliced into sticks about 1-inch by 3-inches
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 3 cups thinly sliced white cabbage
- 4 medium-size red radishes, julienned
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbs virgin olive oil
- 8 x 6-inch soft flour tortillas
1 mango, diced
½ cup finely chopped red onion
2 tbs freshly chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
Pinch of salt
Directions for Preparing Crispy Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside. Start by preparing the Mango Salsa. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the salsa. Let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
- Prepare the crispy walleye coating in a small bowl by combining the panko, chipotle chili powder, smoked paprika, and salt.
- Heat 2 tbs of olive oil in large non-stick pan. When hot, add the bread crumb mixture and stir to coat with the oil. Toast the breadcrumbs, stirring regularly, for 2-3 minutes until they literally smell like toast (careful to not to burn them). Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy. Set up an assembly line for breading the fish: fish, egg whites, breadcrumbs, prepared baking sheet.
- Dip each piece of fish in the egg-whites. Shake off any excess, then coat it in the seasoned breadcrumbs, pressing gently to help them adhere. Place each piece of breaded fish on baking sheet about an inch apart.
- Place baking sheet into oven and bake for 10 minutes until the fish is opaque throughout.
- While the fish is cooking, combine the cabbage, radishes, lime juice and salt.
- Warm the tortillas in a hot pan or microwave them.
- Add a couple pieces of fish to each taco and top with the cabbage mixture and mango salsa. Serve immediately.