The Best French Toast
Prep/Total Time: 15 min.
There’s no question that this is the best French toast recipe ever. The caramelized exterior meets a soft custardlike center that practically melts in your mouth. Not only that, but it’s quick and easy, too! —Audrey Rompon, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 slices day-old brioche bread (1 inch thick)
- Optional toppings: Butter, maple syrup, fresh berries, whipped cream and confectioners’ sugar
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the first 7 ingredients. Preheat a greased griddle over medium heat.
- Dip bread into egg mixture, letting it soak 5 seconds on each side. Cook on griddle until golden brown on both sides. Serve with toppings as desired.
Using day-old bread from a bakery helps the French toast to be more stable. If you’re using commercially produced brioche, be sure to allow the bread to become slightly stale for best results.
2 pieces: 546 calories, 24g fat (15g saturated fat), 263mg cholesterol, 786mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.